Deposit Historical Society

This is the official website of the
Deposit Historical Society.
© Copyright The Deposit Historical Society 2005. All rights reserved.
Comments to:DHSwebmaster

Home PageAbout UsDeposit History
Museum History
Deposit Today
Old Photos
Exhibits
Upcoming Events
Publications
Newsletters
Membership Information
Directions





Museum Exhibits

 

---- Click on any image or title to see an enlarged view ----

 

The restored teller's cage from the Farmers National Bank is the focal point of the main room.

 

Bar
This folk art carving of a tavern scene was done by Richard Mayle in the 1940s. On loan from the Kamp family.

Samples of crochet patterns done by Anna Schwenz Eggleston.

This cutter was used from 1915 to 1925 by Dr. Clayton M. Axtell and  was restored by the Axtell family.

Two of our more active members having a quiet cup of tea in the Steinman room.

This live steam engine model was built by George Monson in the 1940s.

A typical bedroom of the nineteenth century.  Note the turned bedstead with rope springs and feather tick.  The quilt on the wall was made by Mrs. D. D. Mills in 1878.  The framed doily was crocheted by Emily Elizabeth Stiles around 1860.

Friesian chip-carved document box was a gift from Donald Mallory.  The inside lid is carved “AD 1786”.

Powder horn used by Moses Axtell when he was at Fort Edward in October of 1759.

The ornamented balcony arcade sets off our collection of spinning wheels and yarn winders.  The large wheel is called a great or walking wheel and is used for spinning wool.  The smaller wheel was used for spinning flax.

This painting by the distinguished folk artist, Ammi Phillips, is of Malina Wheeler Knapp Smith.  She was the daughter of William Wheeler and Eleanor Knox Wheeler.  The Painting hung in the parlor of their home at 20 Main Street.  It is a gift from the Smith Family.

This folk art painting of a village Thanksgiving scene was painted by Antonio Esteves in 1978,  while he was recovering from burns he received in a boiler explosion.  His work has been exhibited at the Brooklyn Museum.  This piece is a gift from the Esteves family.

A piano bought in Philadelphia by William Wheeler in 1829.  He traded 4,500 board feet of local lumber and $375 in cash for it.  It was shipped to Kingston by boat then on to Deposit by ox cart.
Back to top...