The Deposit Historical Museum was once the Knapp Brothers Bank.
Built in 1874, it was the first structure in the village built for banking purposes. Previously the Knapp family had done banking in a room at their home at 44 Pine Street. By the 1890’s the bank had outgrown its small, but elegant, Italianate building and the Knapps built a large Richardsonian style brick building on Front Street.
Thereafter, the original building went through various uses: a mailing room for the Outing Publishing Company, a temporary school room, quite a few years as a residence for a large family, and then as a meeting place for both the Boy Scouts and VFW.
After years of disuse, neglect, and general wear and tear of the elements, the Deposit Historical Society purchased the remains late in 1977. It was virtually dangerous to walk into, with rotted floors and floor joists, leaking roof and falling plaster from both ceilings and sidewalls. It was completely renovated in late 1980 and dedicated as a museum June 20, 1981. In January 1988, excavation was started for a large addition to house a social room and second floor office space. It was dedicated May 13, 1989.
The Society also owns the neighboring house which had been the home and office of noted Civil War surgeon, Dr. Oliver T. Bundy. The original rooms of the home and the Doctor’s office have been restored. The Society’s office and research library are in the rear of the home.